SDL in 470-694 MHz band can be beneficial for Europe
Supplemental Downlink (SDL) in the 470-694 MHz band can contribute to several objectives set by European regulations noting that Media Service Providers will always have to rely on a return channel controlled by someone else:
1. Ensuring that public service broadcasting continue to benefit from technological progress.
2. Encouraging the production of European content taking into account the convergence of information society services and media services, networks and devices, in order to foster growth and jobs in the information society and media industries. In this analysis, such innovative services are referred to as converged services.
3. Promoting reception of all digital interactive television services, regardless of the transmission mode.
4. Increasing consumer choice through availability of on-demand audiovisual media services.
5. Enabling traditional broadcasters to compete on a level playing-field with on-demand media competition.
6. Safeguarding efficient use of spectrum while fulfilling other general interest objectives defined by Member States.
7. Promote innovation and investment through the freeing up of harmonised spectrum for new advanced technologies supporting social, cultural and economic objectives.